Amazing Kidney Facts
We love kidneys and can't get enough of these remarkable renals. Care to know more about these adorable bean buddies? Read on:
1. Egyptians were first to document the existence of kidneys, way back in 1500 BC.
2. Some people are born with extra kidneys. These are called supernumerary kidneys.
3. When you get a kidney transplant, they don’t remove your old kidney, they just add in a new one. So most kidney transplant recipients end up with three kidneys!
4. Kidneys have seven jobs, which you can remember with the acronym A WET BED: Acid-Base balance, Water balance, Electrolyte balance, taking Toxins away, Blood pressure control, making hormone Erythropoietin, activating vitamin D.
5. In the Bible, God judged your earthly behavior by examining your kidneys.
6. Kidneys are all about balance! Traditional Chinese Medicine, aka acupuncture, describes kidneys as the masters of yin and yang, keeping the opposing life forces of yin and yang even. Kidneys play important roles in homeostasis – the balance of fluids, waste and blood pressure.
7. Kidneys are located on the back side of your body.
8. Kidneys filter 45 gallons of blood every day.
9. Kidneys can come in other shapes besides beans! Sometimes the two kidneys join together at the base, creating a single U shaped kidney. This is called a Horseshoe Kidney!
10. Iran is the only country where you can legally sell your kidney. They go for about $4,600 bucks.
11. How much do we pee in a day? Most humans produce enough urine to fill up a soda can. You're welcome for that visual.
Leave a comment